Intergenerational programs change negative perceptions about aging and positively impact the health and well-being of all participants. The following are selected articles and other references documenting the need for, and the positive impact of, intergenerational programs and social connection.
* Together, The Healing Power of Human Connection in a Sometimes Lonely World, Vivek H. Murthy, MD, 19th Surgeon General of the United States, HarperCollins 2020.
* Loneliness is at Epidemic Levels in America, CIGNA 2020.
* Association of Social Contact with Dementia and Cognition: 28-year follow-up of the Whitehall II cohort study, Andrew Sommerlad et al., PLOS Medicine Journal, August 2, 2019.
* Social Isolation and Loneliness in Older People Pose Health Risks, US Dept. of Health & Human Services National Institute on Aging Report, April 23, 2019.
* What is Positive Aging?: 10 Tips to Promote the Positive Aspects of Aging. Kori Miller, PositivePsychologyProgram.com, March 8, 2019.
* Ageism Amplifies Cost and Prevalence of Health Conditions, Becca R. Levy, et al., The Gerontologist, November 13, 2018.
* Loneliness increases risk of dementia by 40%, Angelina Sutin, et al., published in The Journals of Gerontology: Series B, October 26, 2018.
* Loneliness and Social Connections: A National Survey of Adults 45 and Older, AARP Foundation, 2018.
* CIGNA US Loneliness Index Fact Sheet, 2018.
* Intergenerational Programs: The Missing Link in Today's Aging Initiatives, Andrea J. Fonte Weaver, et al., Bridges Together, 2018.
* Positive age beliefs protect against dementia even among elders with high-risk gene, Becca R. Levy, et al., PLOS ONE Journal, February 7, 2018.
* Advancing Social Connection as a Public Health Priority in the United States, Julianne Holt-Lunstad, et al., American Psychological Association, 2017.
* I Need You and You Need Me: The Young, The Old, and What We Can Achieve Together, Background Paper by Generations United and the Eisner Foundation, May 2017.
* Intergenerational Programs: What They Are and Why We Need Them, Andrea J. Fonte Weaver, Bridges Together, Winter 2016.
* Loneliness has a Direct Impact on Healthcare Utilization, Kerstin Gerson-Emerson and Jayani Jayawardhana, American Journal of Public Health, May 2015.
* Making Connections: The Legacy of an Intergenerational Program, Edward H. Thompson and Andrea J. Weaver, The Gerontologist, 2015, 1–11.
* Prescription for Living Longer; Spend Less Time Alone, Brigham Young University News, March 10, 2015, citing Holt-Lunstad, J., Smith, T. B., & Layton, J. B. (2010) study: Social relationships and mortality risk: a meta-analytic review. (Impact of social isolation = smoking 15 cigarettes/day.)
* Longevity Increased by Positive Self-Perceptions of Aging, Becca R. Levy, et al., Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 2002, Vol. 83, No. 2, 261–270.
For those looking for research behind the mission and vision of For All Ages, we've included selected information on this page.
* AARP Age Friendly States and Communities program (operating under the auspices of the WHO).